- In a partnership with parents, the mission of DOVA is to nurture the development of self-directed and responsible 21st century life-long learners through the thoughtful use of media-rich educational opportunities in a flexible, student-centered, virtual learning environment.
- Each student will have the opportunity to learn, to be successful, and to become a good citizen.
- All students can learn; however, some learn by different methods and at different speeds.
- Teaching and learning best takes place in a safe and nurturing environment.
- All staff should have access to standards-based, collaborative staff development to improve professional skills.
- Schools are accountable for student achievement and should strive for continued improvement.
- Quality education requires fiscally responsible expenditures for quality staff, programs, facilities, equipment, and technology.
- Recruiting, employing, and nurturing dedicated, well-qualified, and highly professional employees is important to a successful education program.
- The education of each student must be an effort that involves the support and participation of the school, parents, and community.
- All policy, administrative, instructional, and educational support decisions should be based on student needs.
- Extracurricular activities are important in the overall development of students, and these experiences contribute to academic success.
Pickens County Schools
Student Support Departments
Central Student Registration
Welcome to the Pickens County School District. Our Central Student Registration Facility is located at 158 D.B. Carroll Street, next to the Central Office Facility. We are open...
The Transportation Department is tasked with one of the most important missions in our school system: To provide safe, efficient transportation for the students of Pickens County.
The Central Office for the Pickens County School district provides assistance and guidance to the school district in day to day operations....
The Student Services Department plays a central role in helping to increase communication between the school, community and the home...
Board of Education
The Board of Education is the governing and leadership body for the Pickens County School District...
Spot Light on Attendance
Parents please write a note if your child is sick. All excuses must be provided to the school within 5 days of your child’s absence.
The Pickens County Parental Responsibility Act (Truancy Ordinance Section 42-7) allows for a child to miss (5) unexcused days.
All excuses, including medical and dental may be
faxed directly to the District Attendance Office at (706) 253-1712, with the exception of PHS excuses.
If you have any questions regarding school attendance, please contact the Student Services Department District Attendance Data Clerk at (706) 253-1700.
Rita Nolan- (HCES, JMS) – email@example.com
Becky Prescott- (TES, HES, PJHS) – firstname.lastname@example.org
Sharmon Martin – PHS (706) 253-1800 – email@example.com
"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education."
– Martin Luther King, Jr.
"The goal of education is not to increase the amount of knowledge but to create the possibilities for a child to invent and discover, to create men who are capable of doing new things."
– Jean Piaget
"The goal of education is the advancement of knowledge and the dissemination of truth. "
– John F. Kennedy
"Don't limit a child to your own learning, for he was born in another time."
– Rabindranath Tagore
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school."
– Albert Einstein
"Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education."
– Franklin D. Roosevelt
Dragons Opportunity and Virtual Academy
Copyright 2018 Pickens County School System All Rights Reserved.